Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Money!…do, do, do, It’s a crime…

I got a job…I think. I filled out an online application for this company about three weeks ago because I knew they had a spot open (my roomy just quit working there). So they ask me to go to this job fair thing to see if I should be hired. I go and sit through a two hour program where they tell me all about how this company is the #1 electronics retailer in America…which is bullshit BTW. Then I have to fill out more paperwork there. I take a two-part test, and go home.

I get a call a few days later. They want me to come in for an interview. “Ok”, so I go. I get done talking with this manager who works across town. He didn’t have as many questions for me as advice about how to make it big like him in the retail industry. Oh yeah, I sat there listening to this ass talk himself up for an hour and a half. Man, I hate people who think they are fucking worthy of my admiration. Still, I sit there and smile, nod and look genuinely amazed at how much he has accomplished. Finally, I get through with that and go home. A few more days later they want to have a second interview with me (same store, same asshole). What choice do I have? So, I go. Second interview is basically a re-run of the first. Just lots more forms to fill out.

A week goes by…

I have visited the store I am supposed to work at twice now. This isn’t the one I interviewed at though (nicer manager). It’s not on the other side of town either. And I’ve filled more paperwork out and had to email a representative my ID and Social Security info. After all this how many days do you think I’ve worked? Fucking zero, that’s how many! I can’t believe how many damn hoops I am having to jump through for a simple part-time job! I have gotten jobs before by just talking to someone for five minutes and shaking hands. These people wanna dance around while my wife and I are going slowly into chapter 11. I hate corporate America!

I have worked for a lot of different retail and service industries over the years. I have had to go to countless bullshit meetings about nothing (if you have worked retail you have probably gone to some and know what I’m talking about). I just hate the fact that it is so damn hard to get a job now a day. I just wish I could be strait up honest with these people by saying, “All I want to do is work for your company for a time and get paid to do so. I don’t want to make this shit hole my career, are you kidding?” I have no intention of working my way up to the dizzying heights of the powerful Store Manager. Christ, if I wanted to spend the next ten years getting to that position then spend the rest of my life there I’d have to walk out to sea and end it all right now.

P.S. I hate Pensacola. I can’t wait ‘till I’m out of this silly-ass town for good. Oh, And check out my new button on the side-bar!

1 comment:

Singularity said...

I know exactally what your talking about! I use to work for a shitty fucking retailer, maybe you've heard of them Radioshack (www.radioshacksucks.com). Don't get too comfortable when you finally do get hired because you'll be jumping through hoops for the rest of your miserable working existence at any retailer.